Monday, August 30, 2010

Obsession

Ok, so I've always been easily addicted to stupid games. Yes, I'm still playing Farmville. And D&D, for that matter. But this past weekend I stumbled across something that has me hooked like nothing in recent memory.

It's a Facebook game, yes. So I get that lots of folks will dismiss it immediately. That's probably wise. But anyway - it's called City of Wonder, and it's basically Farmville + Civilization. Which means that for me, it's crack.

Now, if one is smart, one can play this game casually. You can set up your little farms and ranches and quarries and lumber mills to pop out goods every 8 hours. Or presumably every 24. Then you can just check in once a day, click all your little buildings, and go about your real life.

I, however, am unable to do this. I have all of my factories spewing things at the fastest rate they can. Every 3 minutes in the case of my garden. Who knew peas grew that fast? So, I'm logged in at home and clicking all day/night this weekend. Then I went to work this morning and did it all day in my office. I can't stop.

The building-clicking isn't what makes it interesting - that's farmville, and social city, and any number of other games. But this one adds in the Civ elements that have me hooked. I NEED to research Fermentation, so I can convert my garden into a vineyard, damn it! I need to know how much better Currency is than Trade. I want to know if Stonehenge is enough to win my culture exchanges, or if I need the Colossus - or, God help me, the Pyramids.

It's a perfect storm of Crap Heelzebub Cannot Resist.

I'm sure I'll at least extend the factory timescales in the next couple of days. But I still need to recruit some more Euclids to cut down my research time on Theology so I can get started on Law...

11 comments:

  1. All this stuff seems predicated on the position that our current civilization is a good thing.

    That reminds me, I need to go use my flush toilet. Do you have indoor plumbing yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean in real life or in Timbuktu? I discovered Irrigation yesterday, which let me build the Public Bath and a Fountain. So I've got plumbing. But I don't think I have flush crappers yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm assuming Thomas Crapper was knighted for his contributions to society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute, I'm not Eileen. What the hell is going on here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, anyway, I'm assuming Thomas Crapper was knighted for his contributions to society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. why have I already commented on this blog, when I haven't even looked at this blog in a couple of weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Games like this are the reason why Facebook is banned (for teachers and students) in my former school system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait a minute. I am supposed to be eshaughn! cte-what have you done to my computer?

    ReplyDelete