Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I don't know what gamey tastes like or ozone smells like

I don't even know what "gamey" means.  It's just a word I've seen thrown around.

I need someone to give me two pieces of meat and say "this one's gamey and this one isn't," so I can learn the difference.  The word itself doesn't render up any taste imagery.  It sounds like parcheesi.  So maybe it tastes cheesy?  Cheese meat?  I don't think I would like that.  That's one of those rules, you can't mix cheese and meat, or eat octopuses.

Ozone is the same way.  People often use "whiff of ozone" in their fancy writing and I'm like, fine, but I don't ******* know what ozone smells like.  Somebody told me you can smell ozone from a photocopier.  I don't know.  I smell toner.  Is that the same thing?  I don't know.  I just don't know.

They say "Ooh, ozone smells like a thunderstorm" and I'm thinking it just smells like everything's wet.  I guess ozone smells wet.

Now, a wet dog, I know what that smells like.

6 comments:

  1. I know both gamey and ozone quite well. I can definitely show you gamey, if you want. Or heck - they must have WFM in CTE-town. Go and buy some buffalo, or some bison. Get some beef at the same time. Cook em up the same way and see.

    Ozone is trickier. Old school photocopiers were definitely the best way - preferably in an enclosed space. But a UV lamp will do - got a blacklight? Take it into a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I bet if it was really charged separated instead of a radical you could get it to glow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH OH OH plus if it glowed in the dark the ozone layer would light up at night! And the sky would be blue because that's the color of oxygen, and we'd have blue skies all day long and all night except when it was cloudy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the derivation of "gamey?" Is it from Safari Sam shooting game on his preserve? "I say, lads, I shot a wicked awesome water buffalo last night, what? What? Shall we carve up the steaks and through some on the barbie? Tastes like game, what? Hell, it is game. Reminds of the coneys we shot with potato guns when we were nigh more than wee bairns on the loch."

    ReplyDelete