Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Phantom Menace: Goodbye to 3PO, Kitster, and Shmi (Again!)



More goodbyes from Anakin, who does it all longhand.

Script copyright George Lucas
Script excerpted from this site:
http://www.supershadow.com/star_wars/episode_1/the_phantom_menace/script.html


INT. ANAKIN'S HOVEL - SECOND ROOM - DAY

ANAKIN has thrown the last of his things in a small backpack.
As he leaves, he stops and pushes the button that wakes his
droid up. THREEPIO stares at him blankly.

ANAKIN
Well, Threepio, I'm free...and I'm
going away...in a starship...

THREEPIO
Master, Annie, you are my maker, and
I wish you well. Although I'd like
it better if I were a little less
naked.

ANAKIN
I'm sorry I wasn't able to finish
you, Threepio... give you coverings
and all... I'm going to miss working
on you. You've been a great pal.
I'll make sure Mom doesn't sell you
or anything. Bye.

THREEPIO stares at ANAKIN as he rushes out of the room.

THREEPIO
Sell me?!?

EXT. MOS ESPA - STREET - SLAVE QUARTERS - DAY

KITSTER runs up to ANAKIN as he and QUI-GON exit Anakin's
hovel. SHMI stands in the doorway. ANAKIN pulls a handful of
coins out of his pocket and gives them to KITSTER.

KITSTER
There are so many of us who want you
to stay, Annie... You're a hero.

ANAKIN
I...
(looks to Shmi)
I... have to go.

QUI-GON has moved a short way down the street.

KITSTER
Well.

ANAKIN
Well.

KITSTER
Thank's for every moment you've been
here. You're my best friend.

ANAKIN
I won't forget.

ANAKIN hugs KITSTER and runs toward QUI-GON, then stops to
look back at his mother standing in the doorway. He turns
back to QUI-GON, then turns and runs back to his mother.

ANAKIN
(starting to cry)
I can't do it, Mom. I just can't.

SHMI hugs ANAKIN. QUI-GON watches from the distance. She
kneels down and looks him in the face.

SHMI
Annie, remember when you climbed the
great dune in order to chase the
Banthas away so they wouldn't be
shot... Remember how you collapses
several times, exhausted thinking
you couldn't do it?

ANAKIN shakes his head.

SHMI
This is one of those times when you
have to do something you don't think
you can do. I know how strong you
are, Annie. I know you can do this...

ANAKIN
Will I ever see you again?

SHMI
What does your heart tell you?

ANAKIN
I hope so...yes...I guess.

SHMI
Then we will see each other again.

ANAKIN
I.. will become a Jedi and I will
come back and free you, Mom... I
promise.

SHMI
No matter where you are, my love
will be with you. Now be brave, and
don't look back... don't look back.

ANAKIN
I love you so much.

SHMI hugs ANAKIN, then turns him around so he is facing QUI-
GON, and off he marches, like the brave little trooper that
he is. He marches right past QUI-GON, starring right ahead,
tears in his eyes, determined not to look back.
 

6 comments:

  1. Why does Anakin care if his mom sells 3PO? What if that got her enough cash to buy her freedom? What's the downside for 3PO?

    Who finishes 3PO anyway?

    This whole 3PO thing just needs to be blown up. Utterly nonsensical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. This scene already adds very little - does anyone care about Kitster? Is there any evidence that he "doesn't forget" Kitster? Like 5 minutes from now?

    I guess the extended mom goodbye makes some sense, since the last one was so heartless. But this isn't much better.

    Since our Anakin clearly didn't build 3PO, maybe he built some other droid. NOT a protocol droid, since that makes absolutely no sense. Surely he would have built a maidbot or a techbot, to help either him or his mom. So he built one of them. Yay. But yes, wouldn't a fully functioning droid be enough to buy Shmi?

    I realize Shmi needs to stay behind so she can be killed. Maybe Watto doesn't need a maidbot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, Kitster. There's an awkward goodbye.

    And if Anakin's going to give anyone coinage, shouldn't it be his mom? You know, to buy her freedom or something? Or buy 3PO some clothes? Just cut the coins.

    Heck, cut Kitster altogether. Reduce him to an extra. No lines. Let's just say he doesn't have the impact on the story that an essential character like Wedge Antilles or Biggs Darklighter does. And no, I didn't have to look up their last names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I would have had to sit and think about Biggs. But yes.

    I'd actually go the other way - let's have Kitster hacked to pieces, too. Why not? Maybe Watto gets pissed. Or he crosses the Hutts somehow. See Anakin regret leaving. You know, before he goes all ballistic.

    Shit or get off the pot with Kitster, that's what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I would not have known Biggs's last name a year ago. In fact, I would have guessed that "Biggs" WAS a last name. You read the Star Wars Encyclopedia to your 2-year-old enough times and you pick this stuff up.

    Well, you don't really pick up all the character names from the prequels, because why would you? But the other stuff, yeah.

    Having Kitster killed by a wrathful Watto is a good twist. Then he makes it back to the planet ten years later only to have his mom die in his arms. I can see him turning to the dark side already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My last comment on this one: This part is really dumb. cut:

    SHMI
    Annie, remember when you climbed the
    great dune in order to chase the
    Banthas away so they wouldn't be
    shot... Remember how you collapses
    several times, exhausted thinking
    you couldn't do it?

    ANAKIN shakes his head.


    Forget for a moment that the anecdote sucks. When Anakin shakes his head, does it mean he doesn't remember? That makes it doubly stupid.

    I think this scene works better, really, if Anakin decides not to go and his mom berates him into going. Do we really believe that Darth Vader's mom was some loving caring slave do-gooder? I mean, he's Darth freaking Vader. I'd be more willing to believe his mom was emotionally abusive, but he had some massive love for her anyway. A parallel to his feelings for Watto, and eventually the Emperor.

    At this point in the film, we've established Anakin's entire backstory. Everything that happens to him from here on out is under the influence of the Jedi. I see no reason that (as written) Palpatine should be able to turn him.

    ReplyDelete