Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Phantom Menace: Podrace Aftermath

Here's a feelgood scene to set up some upcoming pathos.

Script copyright George Lucas
Script excerpted from this site:
http://www.supershadow.com/star_wars/episode_1/the_phantom_menace/script.html

EXT. MOS ESPA - ARENA - DAY

As ANAKIN stops the Podracer, KISTER turns up, and they
embrace. Hundreds of SPECTATORS join them and put ANAKIN on
their shoulders, marching off, CHEERING AND CHANTING. Darth
Maul's PROBE DROIDS move through the crowd.

INT. MOS ESPA - ARENA - PRIVATE BOX - DAY

Several ALIENS leave Watto's box, laughing and counting their
money. WATTO sees QUI-GON standing in the doorway.

WATTO
You! You swindled me! You knew the
boy was going to win! Somehow you
knew it! I lost everything.

WATTO flies up to QUI-GON and puts his face right up against
QUI-GON's.

QUI-GON simply smiles.

QUI-GON
Whenever you gamble, my freind,
eventually you'll lose. Bring the
parts to the main hanger. I'll come
by your shop later so you can release
the boy.

WATTO
You can't have him! It wasn't a fair
bet!

QUI-GON
Would you like to discuss it with
the Hutts...I'm sure they can settle
this.

WATTO
No, no! I want no more of your tricks!
Take him!

The SITH PROBE DROID watches with great interest.

EXT. MOS ESPA - ARENA - MAIN HANGER - DAY

The Main Hanger is almost deserted as RACERS depart.

INT. MOS ESPA - ARENA - MAIN HANGER - DAY

JAR JAR gives ANAKIN a great hug, then PADME gives him a
hug, then SHMI.

ANAKIN
Ah, gee...enough of this...

SHMI
It's so wonderful, Annie. You have
brought hope to those who have none.
I'm so very proud of you...

PADME
We owe you everything.

ANAKIN
Just feeling this good was worth it.

In the background, QUI-GON has harnessed the EOPIES to
containers full of parts.

QUI-GON
Padme. Jar Jar, let's go, we've got
to get these parts back to the ship.

The GROUP walks over to QUI-GON and the EOPIES.

PADME climbs on behind QUI-GON. JAR JAR swings up onto the
second EOPIE, only to slwly slide off the other side. ARTOO
whistles. ANAKIN and SHMI wave as they ride off.

QUI-GON
I'll return the eopies by midday.

EXT. TATOOINE - DESERT - NABOO SPACECRAFT - DAY

ARTOO cruises ahead of QUI-GON and PADME, who are riding one
of the EOPIES; JAR JAR ridses the other. They stop in front
of the sleek Naboo spacecraft.

OBI-WAN comes out of the ship and joins them.

QUI-GON
Start getting this hyperdrive
generator installed. I'm going
back...some unfinished business. I
won't be long.

OBI-WAN
Why do I sense we've picked up another
pathetic life form...?

QUI-GON
It's the boy who's responsible for
getting those parts.

On a hill far overlooking the Naboo spacecraft, the SITH
PROBE DROID turns and speeds away. 

3 comments:

  1. The celebration is a bit much but overall this is fine. My problems are more with the scriptwriting than the story, so that's a good thing.

    Really this is a pretty empty sequence as far as viewer interest, but it's perfunctory and necessary.

    1.
    "SHMI
    It's so wonderful, Annie. You have
    brought hope to those who have none."

    Err...what? Who exactly has he brought hope to by winning a pod race? Other strangely mechanical and magical 8-year-old boy slaves?

    2. After all the hugs:
    "ANAKIN
    Ah, gee...enough of this... "

    and

    "ANAKIN
    Just feeling this good was worth it. "

    You know, I'm right there with you Anakin, on the "enough already." But wouldn't it be more interesting to see Anakin actually get angry at all the attention and love dovery? As in "Get off me! Cor!" Or what have you. For Cor's sake, let's set him up to be angry (if not outright evil) somewhere in the next ten years or so. Here's the chance!

    I've seen this movie three or four times now, and I've never noticed Darth Maul's probes. Or I've forgotten if I did. Either way, fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm so late! This Nursing Chem class is KILLING me. All I do all day every day is prep lectures or discussion handouts. I have graded exactly one lab report for my actual chem majors. Not one report for everyone, one report. Christ.

    So, yeah, my reactions shockingly are the same as yours. There are probe droids moving through the crowd and nobody notices? Not even the Jedi? Wha?

    That dialog is AWFUL. Awful. And yes, giving hope to whom exactly? Vomit. Shut up, Lucas dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at it this way. The new InsideCarolina is a flat-out disaster, so all the time you would have spent THERE can now be spent HERE.

    ReplyDelete